Pages

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Unusual Challenges


     To say that being stuck at home for seven weeks with a broken ankle provides challenges would be an understatement.    Everything I do is a challenge, starting with just standing up.

      This lovely knee high boot I'm wearing is not only so heavy it feels like a cement block, it is also rounded on the bottom.  Just trying to stand up can throw me head over heels.    As if that wasn't enough to cause problems keeping my balance, it is higher than the other shoe, throwing my entire body off kilter.  I feel like a Saturday night drunk trying to stand up on a hillside.

     Once I sort of mastered the art of walking, it was time to try taking a shower.  Now that sounds simple enough, but here's the dilemma....

I can't take the boot off - and I can't get it wet!

     "Sounds impossible"  you say.  Never fear.  I haven't had to go 7 weeks without a shower.  Whew!  Wouldn't that be unpleasant?    No, the doctor's office had this ingenious idea.  For $10 they gave me this nice little shower cap for my leg.    It is clear plastic and long enough to come to the top of my leg.  Problem is I have to be able to get it on over this huge, heavy, clunky boot, without tearing a hole in it.  Imagine trying to put a pair of pantyhose on a tree trunk.  Believe me, it's not a pretty sight (nor an easy task)!   By the time I get a shower I am pretty much worn out for the entire day.

       Once I've made it through the shower ordeal it comes time to get dressed.   I've heard women say they have a closet full of clothes but nothing to wear.  Right now that is exactly how I feel.  Considering most of my slacks and jeans won't fit over this boot I am very limited as to what I can wear.  It pretty much has to be shorts or very loose fitting pants that stretch.  Not very fashionable, but I've never really been much of a fashionista.

      Bedtime brings it's own set of challenges.  I'm not even allowed to take the boot off at bedtime.  Getting into our high bed without falling is the first obstacle.  After I've accomplished that, finding a comfortable position to lay is an impossibility.  When I finally do fall asleep, I am afraid I will turn over and kick my husband severely bruising or maybe even breaking his leg.  It's almost easier to just sleep in the recliner!

      Hopefully, all these challenges will soon come to an end.  I go back to the doctor next Tuesday and I am praying I get to take this boot off.  I'm not sure if he actually said that would happen or if it is just wishful thinking on my part.  I guess if I don't it won't be the end of the world, but it will definitely be another challenge...


Until next time...that's my view.

Kat

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You've read my thoughts, now, please leave me yours. Thank you.