Pages

Friday, September 9, 2011

Time Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

    
    
     I grew up in a small town in Indiana.  So small that everyone went to the same school from first grade through 12th.  When I graduated high school, like many teenagers, I couldn't wait to leave home.  And that's exactly what I did.  The day after graduation I moved to Kentucky and never looked back.

      My best friend that I grew up with had already gotten married and moved on.  So had my cousin, who I had also spent a lot of time with in my early teens.   Without dwelling on the negative, I will say that I have wonderful memories of growing up until my sophomore year.  My last three years of high school were not so great.  There were some good times, but there were also a lot of painful and unhappy times.  There really was nothing left there for me and I pretty much broke all ties.    Mother and Dad lived there and I did go back to visit them, but that was it.  I had very little contact with anyone else.  I guess I thought if I broke "cold turkey" it would help erase the bad memories. 

      For many years I managed to not think much about that part of my life spent in that little town.  But then, something happened.  

I got old.  
    
     As the old saying goes, "Time heals all wounds".  Well, maybe not all, but it certainly diminishes the pain.   Aging plays funny tricks on your mind and I began to think more and more about my youth.  I started remembering things I hadn't thought about in years and wanting to find some renewed connection to my past.  

Along comes facebook.  

     Thanks to modern technology I have been able to reconnect with some old friends that are happy memories from a simpler time.  Good people who have helped me realize I have found something I never even knew I was missing.   Thank you dear friends.

     I've decided that as we get older it is natural to want to reconnect with our youth.   Not just a want, but a need.  After all, where we come from is what makes us the person we are today.   My dad has recently moved back to Milltown and I now get very nostalgic when I visit him.  Even though it has changed drastically and many of the places so dear to me in my youth are gone, it is still my hometown.   I now think of it fondly and can look back on all the wonderful times spent there.




Until next time...that's my view.
Kat



No comments:

Post a Comment

You've read my thoughts, now, please leave me yours. Thank you.