Pages

Monday, April 16, 2012

O is for Over the Hill

     My family is notorious for surprise "Over the Hill" parties.  You know the type people throw when someone hits those milestone birthdays ending in 0.

      One of my sisters had mine when I turned 40.  It snowed about a foot that night, was extremely cold and not many showed up.  Since it was a surprise I didn't have a camera and therefore, I don't have any pictures of that one.   What a shame (hehe)!   The gifts were all gag gifts and those of us who braved the weather had a great time.  I have to admit that the only gift I remember is one of our friends who works at a car lot gave me a new Corvette!  It was plastic and fit in my hand.

     We had one at my house for sister Jane when she turned either 30 or 40, my memory isn't what it used to be and I can't remember for sure.   The weather was beautiful, we had a large crowd and we were able to have it outside.  Gag gifts were hilarious.  Some people are extremely creative when it comes to joking about getting old.  I do have pictures of this one somewhere but they aren't on my computer and I didn't have time to look for them.  Sorry Jane.




     When Kenneth turned 60, we planned his and had it at sister Jane's.   He had no idea and was really surprised.  He thought we were just going for dinner.  Surprise!  All our friends were there and we laughed  until we cried at some of the gag gifts he got.   And I do have pictures of this one!




He loved this cow from his brother and sister-in-law.  It plays music and he still has it on a shelf in the bedroom.   Some of the gifts were really funny, but not suitable for sharing publicly.  LOL!





     Last, but never least, the biggest surprise was sister Brenda's when she hit 50.  Now, I must precede her party story by saying that she does not like aging.  She is fighting it kicking and screaming.  That being said, a big party was probably the last thing she wanted.  She got it anyway!  You know what they say about paybacks!   She was probably the most surprised of all of us and she got her biggest surprise right after coming in the door.  Once she had gotten over the initial shock, her son walked out of the kitchen.  He lives in Miami and she had no idea he was coming in.  He flew in just for her party.  That was the best gift she could have gotten.

Brandon



This is the shirt I got her so she wouldn't forget her name!
  

          Lots of food, lots of friends and lots of fun.  The Williams sisters  definitely know how to throw a party.  So next time you hit one of those big birthdays that end in 0...watch out!  It might just be your time to get surprised; especially if you are "Over the Hill"!



Until next time...that's my view.
Kat

16 comments:

  1. I fell off that hill 3 years ago - and had the best birthday bash of my life - coz I organised it. The surprise for me came from the number of people who actually came + the number of gatecrashers who just wanted to be there. It was the best memory of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, if you plan it yourself you get exactly what you want. That's the way I see it. Hope things are going well for you and your husband. Still praying for his complete recovery.

      Delete
  2. How cool that you were able to fly in Brenda's son!! Sounds like fun!!

    Cheers, Jenn
    http://www.wine-n-chat.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that was what really made the party for her. She doesn't get to see him very often.

      Delete
  3. YOU are a JEWEL..love love this...and how you captured with pics along with the images we draw from your writing! Gifted indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words Brenda. As you know, it is so heart-warming when you know someone appreciates what you do.♥

      Delete
  4. According to this definition, I should have had quite a few over the hill parties by now.

    Nice to meet you, and I hope you're enjoying the Challenge!

    KarenG
    A to Z Challenge Host

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you to Karen. Thank you for stopping by. Yes, I've had quite a few of those big 0 birthdays myself. Yes, the challenge is fun but definitely challenging!

      Delete
  5. My Friends organized one for my 40th birthday but I got to know about it earlier but I played along as I did not want to disappoint them. I did not have the heart to tell them I knew.
    www.thoughtsofpaps.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a good friend you are not to let them know. Glad I was able to remind you of a good memory.

      Delete
  6. WHat happy celebrations! Birthdays after 30, ending in 0's don't aren't so bad! Thanks for sharing your family pictures... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Linda, they really aren't so bad. I've had several of them and I'm still kicking!

      Delete
  7. I think it is really cool that you all celebrate birthdays!! When I turned 40, I decorated the whole house in pinks and blues with Cinderella. I wanted to feel like Cinderella for my party. It was fun!! Course afterwards I turned back into a pumpkin, but it was fun while it lasted. :D

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that! I think you are still a princess! :D

      Delete
  8. What fun your family has! I love a good party surprise or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jo, I am very blessed with great friends and great sisters. As long as I have them I'll never run out of material to write about! :D

      Delete

You've read my thoughts, now, please leave me yours. Thank you.