Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Happy Birthday Daddy

     This handsome man is my dad.  When I was small, like all little girls,  I thought I had the smartest and most handsome dad in the world.  But, unlike all those other little girls, I really did have the smartest and most handsome dad in the world.

    Whether he was helping me build a cabin out of Lincoln Logs, or research a topic for a science project in the Encyclopedia Britannica, he was always there to help.  He was my first and my only real hero.

     Dad was in the Navy in World War II; a radio operator in a naval air bomber.  Both his brothers were killed in the same war.   After the war he married my mom, and the rest, as they say, is history.

     Yesterday, we celebrated 90 years of my dad's life (even though his birthday is actually Tues, Oct. 18) and it was a wonderful day.  It was so awesome to see him happy, visiting with family and friends.  He was the man of the hour and he loved every minute of it.    



     















     Dad deserved to enjoy this day.  Since we lost mom in July he has had nothing but change; learning to live alone after 66 years of marriage, cooking for himself, adapting to a new apartment, making new friends and reconnecting with old ones.  Not an easy task for any of us, let alone someone his age.  But dad is strong.  He has coped very well.  

      This 90th birthday celebration was more than just a birthday party.  It was a turning point for our family.  It was a realization that life could go on without mom; something we had all been afraid of.  Family celebrations and holidays will never be the same, but they can still be good and we can still enjoy them.  And what better way to test those unknown waters than to celebrate the life of the man who has always been our quiet strength.





Dad, this is for you.  I love you. You are still my hero!

Happy 90th Birthday!




Until next time...that's my view.

Kat






4 comments:

  1. Aw, I love a handsome man. I thinked you just rocked your Dad's birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your dad is so cute! happy 90th!....

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gift to have such a father. I am so happy that you have that and appreciate it. It must have been a bitter sweet day for you all - but still seems you enjoyed it.

    Cheers

    M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks girls! I am glad you were all able to share Dad's birthday with us. I really appreciate your support.

    ReplyDelete

You've read my thoughts, now, please leave me yours. Thank you.